Saturday 20 November 2010

Mumbai

Having been given a great send off at Sam and Stu's with a roast leg of lamb and two very nice bottles of Claret I went contentedly off to bed.
Four fifteen and I sprang up and showered, as I was dressing I was unable to wear the shorts I had dug out and put ready as my girth had become a bit more ample than the last time I wore them. Undaunted I rummaged deeper into my rucksack and found another pair of older more worn shorts and these fitted comfortably. Oh well I thought, it won't be long I suspect before the weight falls off me in rapid fashion.
I was ready just as the taxi arrived and whispered good bye, closed the door and left.
Heathrow terminal three, Quatar Airways via Doha. A very decent flight except that I had an isle seat and was bumped into continually. I watched Dinner for Schmucks, lighthearted rubbish perfect for a long flight. The stopover was fine and just not too long. The second leg was also pleasant enough and I watched Get low with Robert Duvall and had a few brandy and cokes.
The flight arrived on time but became delayed on landing as they were doing construction work on the airport so we sat on the plane in a queue for a while before disembarking. My bag as always was just about the last off but all intact. I had arranged to be met at the airport and driven to the hotel. As I came into the hall and looked for my name I could not find it and a mild panic crept over me. I began to look again and saw the hotel sign of where I was staying with three names on it, one being a Mr Richard Schwartz. The chap grinned at me and waggled his head and said "Welcome in Mumbai, yes you come with me to taxi". OK this must be the right one so off we went. It was now five am and we waited for the taxi. After about fifteen to twenty minutes I began to get a bit fed up and he said "traffic big problem, I phone". Anyway soon after the taxi arrived and took me to the hotel.
A quick shower and I collapsed on the bed which of course is about six inches too short. I woke up at midday and had a delicious dahl and rice for lunch. I am happy here although writing this at two thirteen in the morning shows I am not adjusted to the time difference yet.
Nine thirty and I was up and ready for action. A young Chinese girl was debating where to go and we started chatting and decided to wander about together. She was going to Colaba which is where I am having my teeth done on Tuesday and I wanted to check out because of a cheap hostel. Only two hundred and twenty five rupees and free bed bugs at no extra charge. We went out and haggled a tuck tuck driver down from one hundred to twenty rupees and set off to the station. Buying the ticket was easy enough and the train ride of forty five minutes was quite fun.
Colaba was a breath of fresh air with nice gardens, super Victorian buildings and a vibe that I liked instantly.
I found that the hostel was ideally situated near to everything and asked if I could get a bunk bed tomorrow which seems to be no problem. We then went to Leopold's cafe made famous first in the Shantaram novel and more recently by the Mumbai terrorist attacks. I quite liked it and no doubt will return in a more determined fashion later this week. After being refreshed by a banana lassie and fruit salad we went down to look at the Taj Mahal hotel and the gateway to India. Ellie the Chinese girl suggested we take a boat trip to an island with some carvings in some caves so off we went. The journey was hardly worth it as the caves were pitch black and we only had an hour to see them before the last boat back.
I now fast forward a few days and have had my teeth done and I am happy with the result. The hostel was overrun with about fifty kids in a military academy so every morning I have to shout over the wall to shut them up which they do and a constant stream of apologies follow. Sorry Mr. Have nice day etc, etc.
I have gone out a couple of nights now and had a blast meeting some cool people. One random thing happened on the first day as I was unpacking a voice said "I know you" and a chap also called Richard who I met in Morocco and traveled with for a few days was here. Small world I guess.
Anyway what to say about Mumbai? It's hot and humid and a complete mixture of everything imaginable. Old next to new. People in a hurry or just hanging around. Crooks and saints. I love the old taxis. It is the anniversary of the Mumbai attacks today so there are police EVERYWHERE. I am avoiding the midday heat and will go out for a last night on the town. I will write a bit more when I have settled in Goa. At the moment the plan is Arambol. If I don't like it there then I will move to a quieter beach nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment